These positions are located in various Regional Offices, Division for Operations (DO), United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). These positions will support the Synthetic Drug Strategy managed by the Portfolio Management and Outreach (PMO) team of the Laboratory and Scientific Services (LSS), Drugs, Laboratory and Scientific Services Branch (DLSSB) Division for Policy Analysis and Public Affairs (DPA), United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The work will be carried out in close coordination with the Synthetic Drug Strategy team in Vienna and relevant Regional Offices. The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Programme Management Officer (Synthetic Drugs)and the Representative of the relevant regional office. For more information on UNODC, please visit www.unodc.org
Within assigned authority, the incumbent will support regional coordination, promotion and implementation of the activities of the UNODC Synthetic Drug Strategy (SDS) and LSS Global Forensic Science and Services Programme, responsible for the following specific duties:
- Develop workplans for the timely achievement of programme outcomes and outputs. • Guide and orient the work and contributions of consultants, programme personnel, donors, institutions and counterparts in the region towards the accomplishment of the Synthetic Drug Strategy objectives.
- Prepare jointly with UNODC Synthetic Drug Strategy team as appropriate, all necessary programme progress reports and implementation delivery rate reports.
- Coordinate the preparation of information materials (brochures, web-stories, posters, etc.) in support of the UNODC Synthetic Drug Strategy; disseminate materials to governments, donors, NGOs, and the general public, as appropriate.
- Engage with SDS implementing countries in the region to promote and implement the guidance presented in the Synthetic Drug Strategy and maximize the utility of the UN Toolkit on Synthetic Drugs.
- Work with countries in their respective regions to develop, articulate and implement national synthetic drug strategies that are modelled after the UNODC Synthetic Drug Strategy, encouraging comprehensive approach involving whole of government coordination and maximize the utility and knowledge of the UN Toolkit on Synthetic Drugs.
- Coordinate and represent UNODC Synthetic Drug Strategy field level activity on synthetic drugs within UNODC and across various partner UN agencies and regional bodies as the African Union (AU), Organization of American States/Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (OAS/CICAD), Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), etc, ensuring coordination at the regional level.
- Act as field level focal points for the Synthetic Drug Strategy responsible for regular briefings to donor community and enhance direct reporting on impact. • Work hand in hand with policymakers to ensure adoption of national legislation that is supportive of effective comprehensive responses to the synthetic drug problem.
- Work with assigned countries in the respective region to identify tailored and measurable national action plans on synthetic drugs, guided by the framework of the UNODC Synthetic Drug Strategy.
- Produce semi annual situation analysis and implementation reports on related UNODC and other implicated agencies’ related activities in the region.
- Research, analyze and present information gathered from diverse sources. Organize and prepare written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provide substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Initiate and coordinate outreach activities; conduct training workshops, seminars, etc.; make presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- As required, guide and coordinate the work of other professional and support staff members, mentor and guide consultants, interns and Associate Experts in their work.
- Support and participate in field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinate activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepare related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Collect and analyze data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Perform other work related duties as required.