In Ukraine, the State Drug Policy Strategy for the period up to 2030 and the draft Action Plan for 2022-2024 were developed in 2021.
The main priorities of the Strategy:
- prevention of use and raising awareness of the harmful effects of drugs;
- enhance public security
- to stop the illegal manufacture and production of drugs
- to ensure access to the relevant preventive interventions and efficient treatment approaches for individuals
- to implement measures aimed at reducing risk and harm to the health of individuals with mental and behavioural disorders due to substance use;
- to ensure the rights to treatment and prevention of individuals with mental and behavioural disorders due to substance use in penitentiary facilities and pre-trial detention centres.
In Ukraine, the implementation of prevention measures is carried out by the central government bodies.
Prevention covers certain social and age groups and provides for a variety of measures, starting with the prevention of drug use up to the reduction of negative effects caused by drug use.
In terms of interventions, there are:
- primary prevention programs
- healthy lifestyle promotion
- prevention from HIV infections and other socially dangerous diseases
- organisational requirements for educational institutions to ensure safety, health, prudent nutrition
Harm reduction measures include:
provision of the targeted information, educational and communication services - distribution of condoms and lubricants
- exchange and distribution of syringes
- HIV testing services
- TB screening services
- Opioid substitution treatment services