The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has identified many well-researched drug-free workplace programs and published "A Kit for Employers: Making the workplace drug free".
This Employer kit describes the below:
- The components of a drug-free workplace,
- The steps for conducting a needs assessment,
- The key elements of an effective drug-free workplace policy,
- The importance of employee education,
- Fact sheets,
- An overview on training supervisors,
- How to use employee assistance program,
- How to implement a drug testing program.
The kit also describes some examples of National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP) model workplace programs. Finally, it includes an implementation guide on how to build, implement and sustain a drug-free workplace program.