Welcome to the National Chapter of ISSUP Brazil
Brazil, a country of continental dimensions, with very different cultures and religions, has multiple challenges that deserve and need attention. One of these immense challenges is related to drug use, which has been increasing and affecting mainly children and adolescents who, in addition to becoming drug addicts, often enter the life of crime and the statistics of violence, due to the use and abuse of legal and illegal drugs.
Today, Brazil has a large network of volunteers and professionals who are specialists in prevention and treatment at the forefront of this daily struggle, but who often work in isolation from each other, without adequate professionalization to the demands and without adequate public policies. They do a magnificent job, based on determination and willingness to help, but that alone is not enough. There is a lack of support from city halls and official bodies and they suffer from financial difficulties and a lack of resources, either from qualified professionals or from physical structure, among other problems.
Prevention programs are essential and can be carried out through school, family and community interventions or through public policies to restrict access and advertising, but they must be carried out based on scientific findings and with evaluation of effectiveness.
Based on this information, Mobilization Freemind, since 2012, has sought - through its Congresses, Events, Marketing and Spirit of Unity - to bring all these volunteers and professionals closer to other important characters in this struggle: local and national governments, scientists and academics and civil society for training, professionalization and exchange of experiences.
And so it was, under this identity and cause, that in July 2016 at a meeting of the ISSUP Board of Directors in Geneva, came the first negotiations for the Mobilization Freemind to become the host entity of the National Chapter of ISSUP in Brazil.
Today the Association ISSUP Brasil - International Society of Substance Use Professionals is constituted and has as prerogatives:
- Follow the guidelines of the National Drug Policy;
- Act from work foundations based on Information, Training and Mobilization;
- Communicate to the Society as a whole, the great risk that exists in the use of legal and illegal drugs, based on statistics and scientific evidence;
- Keeping the Media in general updated with respect to global data in relation to research and scientific evidence for preventing substance use;
- Train coaches to work on prevention projects;
- Assist professionals who work daily with drug addicts and their families to access updated information from the sector;
- Develop methodologies and teaching materials that are impactful in preventing drug use among the young community;
- Promote educational, social, recreational and cultural actions;
- Strengthen and position the institutional brand of ISSUP Brasil as an integral part of ISSUP Global, an entity supported by the main World Institutions in this segment and
- Act in interaction with other spaces that also promote prevention, education and health actions.
The ISSUP Global Goals meet all the needs that Brazil has in this area and, together, we will develop a professional workforce with the necessary skills and abilities to provide high quality prevention and treatment services, based on evidence and ethic.
Freemind Mobilization is honored to be the host of the National Chapter of ISSUP in Brazil and grateful to be able to serve our country and our community. To make this possible, we invite all organizations and individuals working in the field of drug demand reduction to become members of ISSUP Brasil and join us in this commitment.