Susan Gitau - Kenya
Susan Gitau is a certified addiction counsellor with 18 years of experience working with the government of Kenya and the private sector.
- Susan is one of the first female practitioners in relation to treatment and prevention for substance use disorders in Kenya
- She has been at the forefront in prevention activities through sensitisations, pieces of training and workshops in schools, churches, organisations in Kenya
- Founder and Director of Elewa Ulevii - Awareness and treatment programmes, establishing support mechanisms (peer counselling and mentoring programmes)
- Involved in alcohol and substance use counselling, the development of substance use awareness programmes, testing, assessment and treatment planning, trauma support and stress management with adolescents, and sensitisation on substances use at schools, universities, churches and homes
Dr Martin Osayande Agwogie - Nigeria
22 years of experience in the Drug Demand Reduction field at the local, national and international level.
Main areas of work include providing psychosocial interventions for people with substance use disorders, clinical supervision, coordinating CSOs network, organising substance abuse prevention programmes, capacity building and contributing to national drug demand reduction policies.
- Principal Staff Officer - Drug demand reduction division of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA)
- UNODC Treatnet Master Trainer
- Universal Treatment Curriculum (UTC) National Trainer
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellow (2017-2018)
- National Focal Point, Nigerian Epidemiological Network on Drug Use (NENDU)
- Expert Contributor, UNODC International Standards on Drug Use Prevention
- Member, UNODC Expert Treatnet Review Committee
- Participant, African Union Expert’s Consultation on Drug Demand Reduction
- Contributor, National Minimum Standards for Drug Dependence Treatment in Nigeria
- Coordinates the Multi-Media Drug Control Initiative in Nigeria through NDLEA
- Recipient of the National Drug & Substance Abuse Prevention Personality Award
- Promoter of Global Initiative on Substance Abuse (GISA)