Adfam, Scottish Families Affected by Alcohol and Drugs and Scottish Recovery Consortium invite you to a discussion event for journalists, broadcasters, editors, press photographers and anyone with a role in developing or sharing media content.
We will explore the proposed development of new media guidelines for reporting on alcohol and drugs, including media coverage of alcohol and drugs, addiction, recovery, alcohol and drug-related deaths, and harm to others (such as children and families).
This discussion will bring together views and experiences from the academic and media communities, alongside individuals and family members with lived experience of alcohol and drug harm.
The programme will include:
• A review of trends in reporting on alcohol and drugs issues over time (Harry Shapiro, DrugWise);
• The ‘Rewriting the media’ research and recommendations published by Scottish Families and SRC in 2020 (Rebecca Bradley and Dani Carmichael);
• Lived experiences of media involvement by individuals and family members;
• Discussion within the media community, including opportunities and challenges around reporting on addiction and recovery;
• Your views on the potential development of media guidelines for alcohol and drugs reporting, and how we could take this forward.
Please book via Eventbrite and a zoom link with be sent to your email address the day before the event.