- Kenya has adopted a ‘war on drugs’ .
- Severe prison sentences for possession or trafficking of illicit drugs
- With U.S. support, the Community of Anti-Drug Coalitions of America has worked with Kenyan leaders from national, regional and municipal governments and a broad range of society to develop strategies that prevent drug use and reduce crime and violence.
- Addiction treatment and rehabilitation in Kenya is largely provided by the private sector and NGOs
- There are few treatment and rehabilitation centres and are expensive for the majority of Kenyans.
- treatment services and opportunities may include detoxification, substitution or maintenance therapy and/or psychosocial therapies and counselling.
- Monitor trends in national and international drug trafficking, production, sale and consumption
- In terms of harm reduction, there are Needle and syringe exchange services