Early experiences and life circumstances shape prenatal and early childhood development, with powerful impacts on the developing brain and body that shape health outcomes across the life course and can span generations. The preconception, prenatal, and early childhood periods are critical phases of development that help set the odds for lifelong health and well-being.
Vibrant and Healthy Kids: Aligning Science, Practice, and Policy to Advance Health Equity outlines the steps needed to move children who are at risk for negative outcomes toward positive health trajectories and reduce health disparities.
The book, which can be read online, covers the following
- The Need to Intervene Early to Advance Health Equity for Children and Families
- Healthy Development from Conception Through Early Childhood
- Development Happens in Contexts: Overview of Early Life Critical Influences
- Fostering Caregiver Well-Being Toward Healthy Child Development
- Leveraging the Health Care System to Improve Outcomes and Promote Health Equity
- Creating Healthy Living Conditions for Early Development
- Promoting Health Equity Through Early Care and Education
- A Systems Approach to Advance Early Development and Health Equity
- A Roadmap for Applying the Science of Early Development