- Legislation on substance abuse is found in a joint policy for alcohol abuse, drug abuse and mental health.
- The state government is the most important financing method for prevention services of SUD.
- There is no government unit or budget line responsible for the prevention or treatment of SUD.
- Treatment services for SUD are primarily self- funded and is mainly delivered by psychologists, psychiatrists and social workers.
- There is pharmacotherapy available for opioid dependency and alcohol withdrawal.
- There are specialist inpatient and outpatient services for alcohol and drug detoxification.
- Columbia relies on support from NGOs for treatment of SUD.
- Columbia has introduced both school and community based programmes that educate the population about the negative impact of alcohol and drugs.
- Regular mass media programmes educating about SUD.
- Aerial and manual spraying of coca plantations with herbicides.
- With regards to harm reduction, in September 2012 the government of Bogota launched a programme called CAMAD. These are mobile drug centres located in marginalised inner city neighbourhoods where medical and social workers provide care to drug addicts.