Following the concerning findings that one in three adults in Great Britain have been negatively affected by the substance use of someone we know, Adfam has launched their 2020 manifesto.
Adfam's five asks are:
- Make funding available for every Local Authority to provide dedicated support services for those affected by a loved one’s substance misuse
- Ensure financial and practical support for family members who care for children affected by substance misuse
- Ring-fence money for children’s social care services to identify children affected by parental substance misuse, and to provide support to ensure they are given the opportunities to recover and thrive.
- Provide funding to start a national conversation to improve public understanding of the impact of substance misuse on others and to tackle stigmatising attitudes.
- The Health and Social Care Select Committee should launch an inquiry into the relationship between substance misuse, mental ill-health, and poverty in families, and should produce recommendations to prevent these negative impacts of substance use on families.