- The UAE has a zero-tolerance policy for recreational use of drugs and criminalises production, import, export, transport, buying, selling, possessing, storing of narcotic and psychotropic substances.
- There are several rehabilitation centres across UAE and if addicts present themselves to the police or the centres they will be exempt from criminal prosecution.
- Most UAE nationals arrested on drug charges are placed on a two-year treatment programme.
- As part of the treatment programme family counselling and therapy is often offered.
- UAE has strict security at the countries air and sea ports to prevent drug trafficking.
- There are frequent educational campaigns such as ‘Drug Awareness Week’ and 'yes to sports no to drugs' particularly targeting youths.
- Harsh penalties for trafficking